FunTech is the UK’s leading provider of virtual technology lessons, offering after school classes to children across the country. We believe it’s imperative that kids have a solid foundation in technology, but unfortunately this isn’t always offered in schools.
In a rapidly changing world, we’ve seen that education systems are slow to adapt. This means kids can’t often advance as quickly as they are capable of, or don’t get the exposure to technology that’s needed for a bright future.
For example, kids are now expected to use Microsoft Word for assignments and projects, but often aren’t actually offered Microsoft Word lessons to start with.
That’s where our online tech classes can help, all of which are designed to help children grow up happy, successful and achieving their full potential.
Aside from our coding, game design, graphic design, web design, and animation classes, we also make sure that all kids are proficient and skilled in Microsoft Word.
There’s a common misconception that you can simply pick up Word and start using it. Whilst this is true on a basic level due to the ease of use, there’s so much more to it that kids who want to get ahead can learn. It’s an extremely powerful tool that lets kids create different types of documents such as letters, assignments, reports, their own book, magazines, adverts, and posters.
Here are just a few reasons why we think Microsoft Word lessons are so important for kids who are set for a brighter future. You can sign your child up now in our course section.
Why kids should learn Microsoft Word skills
- Microsoft Word is used by schools and colleges in the UK. Kids that learn Word earlier on will be ahead of their peers, and potentially be able to work quicker, smarter, and better.
- It can help kids to learn how to not just touch type but also type quicker and with more accuracy.
- Kids can develop the quality of their writing skills better due the application’s ease of use. This encourages them to practice their writing more, plus learn to rectify their mistakes due to the built-in grammar and spelling tools.
- Microsoft Word is the standard when it comes to word processing applications, and even with the rise in popularity of Google Docs, it’s still maintaining a 65% market share. It’s likely to be around for many years to come.
- Future employers expect the best potential employees to not just have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word but be able to harness the more powerful functionality to set them apart from the rest of candidates.
Our Microsoft Word Lessons for Kids
Most people don’t realise the advanced features that are available in Microsoft Word. All of these are more are taught in our kids Microsoft Word lessons; your child will learn how to create high calibre, professional documents in a fraction of the time that they would ordinarily do.
By the end of the term your child will have learnt:
- To create templates, master documents and macros for repeated use.
- To set-up forms and use equations for mathematical and scientific documents.
- To export and import data to and from other applications.
- To co-author or collaborate with others using a single document.
- How to use the vast array of formatting, short cuts, dictation and translation tools.
What your child will learn
- Working with Text and Shortcuts.
- Layouts, Gridlines and Navigation.
- Formatting, Heading Styles, Table of Contents, Table of Authorities.
- Importing & Exporting Data with Spreadsheets and Databases.
- Images, Linking and Embedding, Annotation, Watermarks.
- Collaboration, Co-authoring, Sky Drive.
- Mail Merge.
- Master Documents.
- One Note.
How our virtual classes work
We’ve been in the education business since the 1990s, teaching thousands of children how to use technology in a fun, engaging, and safe way.
Then 12 years ago we launched our first ever online learning platform, which has evolved into the popular FunTech Virtual Lab that parents know and love today.
All of home-schooling tech and computing courses are up to date, current, and run by highly qualified virtual tutors. Here’s what sets us apart from other online providers:
- We provide real live lessons in real time with live tutors.
- Our live tutors are all DBS checked and we are Ofsted registered.
- Our learning platform comes with instant audio and text communication.
- We let students take advantage of screen sharing and remote access.
- Our classes sizes are deliberately small.
Our kids’ Microsoft Word lessons are modules included in our overall Tech Academy classes, all of which can eventually lead on to our PureCoder courses. Many kids who go through our virtual learning system take a computer science GCSE and A Level with us, sometimes even far earlier than they would in school.